The dangers of too much medication

Overdose can easily occurIn toxicology, the phrase of “the dose makes the poison” is always used and it is valid when it comes to dealing with most everything in life. Too much of anything can become toxic. For example, in humans, drinking too much water can kill you.

This also applies when it comes to giving our pets medication. The amounts of the medications we use have been tested and a documented range has been established through controlled clinical trials. Within these set ranges, the drugs can be extremely helpful from easing painful arthritis to controlling cardiac arrhythmias. Whenever we exceed these limits, very harmful things can happen ranging from organ damage to death. If you ever think that your pet may have taken too much medication, or have any concerns, please give us a call.

Dr Salemi

Comments are closed.